Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Paradigm Shift

It has nothing to do with being unappreciative, but I have a Christmas gift that remains unopened. It is a box of chocolates. What is remarkable about the fact that the box remains unopened, is that as a rule, chocolate is my weakness -- yet I am not compelled to remove that wrapping .... I assure you, in the past I would have had a chocolate covered yummy in my mouth within seconds of being gifted. I'd like to tell you what caused this miraculous change, but I think it truly was a miracle. It began with a fall from my porch, followed by an accidental glimpse of myself in a department store mirror -- and instantly my lifestyle paradigm changed. I no longer crave carbs. Chips and chocolates no longer seductively whisper my name. I enjoy exercise! Even at my worst, I have always been active. I never lost the ability to bend over and tie my shoelaces, or touch my fingers to the floor, but I was slower, and shorter of breath than anyone my age should be. However, regular exercise has increased my stamina, my attitude, and lung capacity. I am hoping soon it will help me get rid of a few of my insecurities. Take a look at the heart rate chart: I tend to keep myself in the 80% zone. I can actually feel a thin person inside of me trying to get out. I have my stats taken once a month. My next official weighing and measuring is January 2nd. I'll keep you posted.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wwwwwwoooooooooooohhhhhooooooooooooooo!!! go girl!

12/27/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger The amoeba said...

:) :)

See you on the track.

12/27/2006 10:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just so tickled that you are enjoying the process and are happy with the way you are looking.

You can send the chocolates to me, I'll find them a good home. ;)

12/27/2006 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Cindra -- was that for me, or because Tom is home? Hmmm?

OC -- yeah, look over your shoulder, I'll be meters behind you puffing for breath. You run. I don't think I'm there yet.

Brian -- I am keeping the chocolates. Who knows when I might have a meltdown and need one (or seven)? But I appreciate the sacrifice you were willing to make in taking them off my hands.

12/27/2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

Quill,
Quick, hop in your car and drive down to CA... I need some of that ju-ju to rub off on me!!!!
Slainte~
Rachelle

12/27/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Rachelle -- you don't need me. Just go into a department store, pick out a magnificent outfit, put it on, look in the mirror and realize that no designer could possibly create anything that was going to help you look attractive. You shouldn't have any trouble losing your appetite at all -- especially if you used to be an athlete.

12/27/2006 02:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilly-Sister, you go, girl!! I'm so happy for you. It isn't just that when we are thinner, we like the way we look (tho God know, we do!)but it's all those big things like breathing better, moving better, having more stamina, maybe not needing statin drugs, etc. etc. etc. GOOD FOR YOU! xoxoxo

12/27/2006 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie -- my cholesterol has never been high, much to my doctor's shock. But I do like the stamina increase, the better oxygen supply and the greater range of movement and grace.

12/27/2006 06:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilly-it was for you, silly!

12/27/2006 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Way to go, Lady! ^5!!!! Keep up the good work, now maybe I can get some motivation to get back into shape again too!

12/28/2006 02:40:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Cindra -- just checking.

Charlie -- I'm amazed at me!

Dabick -- try it, you'll like it.

12/28/2006 06:04:00 AM  
Blogger Minka said...

yeah , keep teh chocolates, but keep tehm wrapped.
I am so very proud of you, not that it is my place to be, but I still am...the fact that youa re enjoying it this much is inspiring!

12/28/2006 06:27:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

You are doing great. Way to go!

12/28/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

It's that time of year, y'know, you get guilty feeling about past and current resolutions. Good for you and your willpower!

12/28/2006 12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oh, come on, Quilly -- just one little chocolate...? What harm could one little chocolate cause, huh? Just...one...teeny...little...chocolate...?"

12/28/2006 02:21:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Minka -- I think I'll pop them in the freezer -- that way I'll really have to want one before they get opened.

Snay -- I started in August and have been progressing steadily. Check back this time next year and see how I'm doing...

Al -- none. Buy yourself a box and enjoy them.

12/28/2006 04:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your my new role model... I looked at the Christmas pictures and said "Who's that fat old lady holding my grandchild?" Unfortunately, it was me. New lifestyle in 2007!

12/28/2006 08:21:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I am definately impressed. I could never leave a box of chocolates untouched. Keep up the good work.

12/28/2006 08:41:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Kat -- whatever your motivator is, hang onto it, and exercise!

Gary -- I impress me, too.

12/28/2006 09:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home