Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Being God

All fifth grade students at our school keep check registers. They earn "credits" for good behavior and are assessed "debits" for bad behavior. Today as we came in from lunch I asked the class to get ready for Science. Most of them were so excited about the idea (not) that they continued their recess chatter and generally got ready for nothing. Four students did get their science materials out. I called their names and told them to add $5.00 to their checkbook registers. I said their reason for transaction column should read "ready to learn." Mo raised his hand. "Ms. A.," he said. "I don't know how to spell ready. Can I just write, 'being good?'" I went to the board and wrote r-e-a-d-y. Mo got a funny look on his face. "What?" I asked. He held out his paper. "I already wrote the other in ink. I didn't know how to spell ready." I looked down at his paper and couldn't help laughing. He had written, "Beeing god, paidment $5.00." Either Mo is seriously spelling challenged, or God is in the fifth grade this year and failing language arts.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just never know, do you?

Great story...xoxoxo

10/18/2006 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Logophile said...

He might be one of the lesser dieties. I understand Thor is not the brightest tool in the shed either.

10/18/2006 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Eeeesh! I think God deserves more than $5!

10/18/2006 07:34:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Melli, that's what I said! "Gee, I don't know, Mo. God is a pretty demanding job. Seems to me like it should be worth more than $5.00."

10/18/2006 07:50:00 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

God's presence is in your class everytime you are there.

10/18/2006 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger INAMINI said...

I think there is a future accountant in him!

10/18/2006 03:56:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Being God. He must read his Emerson, this kid...spelling well isn't everything.

10/18/2006 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger The Mumma said...

Sad thing is, I taught high school and some kids STILL would be as spelling challenged as Mo.

10/19/2006 09:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a check register for "being good" rewards. Kids can see exactly how much reward they deserve and learn a skill that many adults don't handle well at the same time.

10/21/2006 09:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home