Sunday, October 15, 2006

Precious Memories

After reading my, Cruella, story on, The Grownups Wanted Us Dead, my sister Caryl commented that the Cruella head worked fine during the day, but it didn't keep the kids from coming into my room at night to sleep with me. Actually, the only kid that came into my room at night to sleep with me was Lenny, and he was escaping something much worse than a disembodied head -- a wet bed. I am, and have always been, a very sound sleeper. That's the excuse I am giving for replaying this scene too many times: Little baby Lenny would enter my room in the middle of the night and pat my face with his tiny, baby hand, then he would say, "Auntie Charwene, Auntie Charwene, can I sweep wif you?" I always whipped the covers back and helped him crawl into the bed, where he would flop down and slap a cold, wet diaper on my thigh. An automatic flex of my leg would immediately send him flying back out onto the floor. He landed wailing pitifully, "Why'd you poosh me?" That would finally wake me. His tear stained face and sad little eyes always broke my heart. I'd pick him up, apologize, clean him up, and we'd both go back to bed all dry and comfy. And cuddly -- kind of like this memory.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Oh Quilly, that was beautiful! What a lovely, warm, fuzzy memory. Thanks for sharing it!

10/15/2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Awww Auntie Charwene, that's so sweet!

10/15/2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

Sweet story. I'm a real softy for toddler tales. Skye Bonnie is at that stage where she is just talkin' up a storm but still all round and chubby cheeked and just heart meltingly cute. And there's nothing like snuggles from them at that stage.

Well, I'm off to bed and haven't been able to blog much-- I'm in the Sunday night through Wednesday afternoon intensive work zone. I have my next challenge figured out though and have written my guest blog spot for Sar's on Friday, so I have done some pre-planning for the week but don't know how active I'll be. I'll miss you!

Cheers,

Tom

10/15/2006 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

That is just too cute Quilly! And what a cuddly memory that would be!

10/15/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i like that memory too hon. how sweet to have cuddles from an angel. even a wet one..

i'm so not a sound, deep sleeper but i wish i was. my talent in the sleeping department is to however, be able to sleep anywhere and in anything, lol..I'm your biggest prrrr cat ever, lol.

you sound like such a fun aunt. full of love and all the things that make memories for a lifetime..how sweet for Lenny to have had you to save the night for him..ahh!

Hmmm, if i ever wet my bed, may i come crawling to yours there Quill? ;p ...it might not be for a few yrs yet, but i'm sure i will be there soon enough..

10/16/2006 04:36:00 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm a sound sleeper too. There could be a Mariachi band playing on my chest and I'd sleep through it. Good thing too, because I hate Mariachi music and if I woke up there would be one less Mariachi band in the world. I'll tell you that much!

10/16/2006 06:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

I'm like Dan - wet kid or no, I'd sleep right thru it. We had another rule at our house too, none of the kids could ask me if they could go anywhere or do anything if I was sleeping...I'd answer them...then wake up later and find them missing and not have a clue where they were!

But I'm glad you woke up for little Lenny!

Have a great Monday - love you!

10/16/2006 07:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mama, you forgot to mention the fact if we asked you anything while you were sleeping the answer was *always* yes... that's why that rule got made after we abused the situation a few too many times... lol

10/16/2006 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Brooke, well at least you're honest now. Uhmm ... you are honest now, aren't you?

10/16/2006 02:21:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Yes, now Lenny has his own wet diaper babies.

10/16/2006 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes dear auntie, I am indeed honest now. lol

10/16/2006 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

You were a great aunt. My daughter has let my grandson sleep with her when she is staying with my oldest son

10/17/2006 05:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home