Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Super Hero Is Born

Writing class: today's topic: Create Your Own Super Hero. The kids were brainstorming. One young lady says, "But where did you get your magic powers, George?" She, apparently took seriously my suggestion that the magic be explained. "You can't just suddenly have a magic power from nowhere." "Sure I can, Jasmine," George answers. "Like Mask, I'll just find something that makes me special." "Like what?" Jasmine demands. George jumps out of his seat and yells, "My pencil!" He waves his green mechanical pencil at the brand new bulletin board I had just finished. It fell from the wall. My students fell from their chairs laughing. George yelled, "I am magic!" I picked up my scissors and opened and closed them slowly. "George," I spoke very softly. "Bring your fingers here." George sat on his hands. I stared at him. He reached out, grabbed his pencil and offered it to me. "It was the pencil!" He said, "Take it!" Then he tossed it at my feet and tucked his hand away. "Tell you what:" I say, then place the pencil on George's desk. "You put that bulletin board back up on the wall and we'll forget this whole thing ever happened." George, still sitting on his hands stares at his pencil. Finally, slowly, he answers, "Ooookay, .... but I think I'm gonna need a lot of tape." ________ I absolutely love teaching 5th grade. And I love it that the kids are old enough to know when to take me seriously and when to play. I knew that bulletin board needed hot glue. I should have done it right the first time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I love absolute power. And the fact that George actually sat on his hands....haha...you teacher you!

9/19/2006 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

kids are funny-one of the other drivers had a little girl get on his bus and hand him two quarters. He asked her where the rest of the 75 cents was and she told him, "Mommy said, 'fifty cents for you and a quarter for me for ice cream!'" Dean said he couldn't make her cough up the rest even though he knew it was in her pocket and that her mom had never said any such thing. He chipped in the 25 cents.
I see you visited me today- good to see you again!

9/19/2006 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Very funny. I want to be in your class.

9/19/2006 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I disagree. If you had done it right the first time, you wouldn't have had this nice story to tell. :)

9/19/2006 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Fifth grade is a great age. I also liked the post yesterday but I somehow missed. This guy seems to borrow a lot from you.....including your cold!

9/19/2006 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

Hi QD,

Actually, I dropped by earlier to read your new post (and loved it) but didn't leave a comment. I'm bogged down with one of those deadlines. We have a faculty show every year at LCC and this year's theme is "Art as Activism." Been stewing over it for days. working on a visual altar to Rachel Carson. I'll drop an e-mail out to the world when I get it done. Deadline is Friday and I've barely begun. Yikes. Keep 'em comin.' Gotta love those kids.

9/19/2006 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Mumma said...

Imagination is a wonderful thing. So good to see a teacher that fosters it, instead of stifling it!

9/19/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Did you keep the pencil. You never know when you will need a little magic.

9/20/2006 05:44:00 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

children are precious. children are beyond wonderful...he sounds beautiful. tell him i agree with him, a pencil could be super power. the mighty written word is a force to be used for good or evil.


sorry i've missed so many of your post.

i'm happy you won the contest.

your co-worker got you good, ;) i love the way you manage to have fun everywhere you are. you have a happy heart. thank you for sharing it with all of us.

9/20/2006 06:02:00 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Thanks for a great chuckle.
Poor George, wonder what story he told at home last night? :)

9/20/2006 11:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home