Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Curves -- Day One

Not curvy yet .... Wait! That's not true. I have curves, some just go out where they should go in, others are more generous than designated on the original design specs. The first and hardest part of my workout was getting into my brand new athletic shoes. Either my arms have gotten shorter or my legs have grown longer. The second hardest part of my workout was the lady "training" me, her syrupy-sweet voice could be used for a sugar substitute. She kept asking -- "Are you sure you can do this?" -- which is less than motivating. If I didn't think I could do it the membership money would still be in my bank account. One thing about my workout did suprise me. I ran out of breath before I ran out of stamina. However, right now I am noticing a slight "heaviness" in my biceps, and a definate twinge in my lower back muscles. There is also a bit of stiffness in my neck, but I think that is nerves. I just finished giving the message at tonight's Prayer and Praise service. Afterwards as people were shaking my hand and complementing my sermon they kept saying, "Oh my gosh! You're freezing!" Actually, most of me was melting, only my hands were frozen. Preaching does that to me. For those of you concerned about my self-concept -- thank you, but my ego is pretty dang healthy. Infact, there are some people who might go so far as too say it is too healthy. My comment is this -- don't feed it after midnight and you have nothing to worry about. However, I will address your concerns. I am not trying to lose weight to attract a guy or gain greater respect. I am trying to save my right knee. I have grown fond of it over the years and want to have it with me in my old age. I would also like to do a few things that are presently difficult -- like see my feet; sit in a booth at a restaurant; walk through china shops without fear; play games with my students; breathe .... You know, little things that will improve the quality of my life.

14 Comments:

Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I've got some curves too! LOL

Dr John sent me

8/02/2006 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog. I prefer the traditional hymns and really enjoy going to church to hear the old hymns and message.

The Lord's My Shepherd and Just As I Am are my favorites. I enjoy Tennessee Ernie Ford's gospel renditions. When he sings When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder, it sends a chill (good one) down my spine.

What was your message tonight? you didn't say.

I always knew there was a higher power. Someday I will put my story about finding the Lord in my blog someday.

God Bless

Bill

PS, I added a new post to My Dad's Trains. Go have a look see. Dad took some more pictures in the same location about 10 years later.

I will probably enjoy the third installment of Pirates as well. I just didn't like the second one. I think I found it a little bit too far fetched. Davey Jones Locker was over the top for me.

8/02/2006 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good luck with Curves, Quilldancer! I know several girls from work who've spent a lot of time there and they seem to really enjoy it. I hope it goes well and helps out with the knee.

8/03/2006 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Ignore syrupy female because they seem to have a whole different way of looking at life. When I went to check out a gym with my cousin, this stupid dude who was showing us around pointed out the "butt machine" which he hinted we (or at least I) should be using. Then he pointed out the gym instructress who has made most use of it and said - now there's a butt! And I said, now there's a matter of opinion. Jerk!

Needless to say, we didn't sign up.

8/03/2006 01:12:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Quilly: Congrats on making it through day one.

I like your list of things you want to do. Mine's the same.

8/03/2006 02:18:00 AM  
Blogger Grey Shades said...

Good going lady! Jus keep at it and you'll be fine. Irregularity is something that's gonna get you the the pain but no results...

8/03/2006 03:10:00 AM  
Blogger bitingblondewit said...

Good job! The first week is the hardest, but then it'll become a routine and you'll love it/miss it when you don't do it.

8/03/2006 06:45:00 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

YAY! You finished day 1!!! You don't have to worry about going "too often" at Curves -- because it's not weight training so your not tearing down muscle. It's only strength training - using the resistance factor - so you can do it as often as you like! I do find my muscles get fatigued occassionally and when that happens I just take a day off. For the most part I go 4-5 times a week. Occassionally 6! So... you're ON YOUR WAY!!! Good job!

8/03/2006 07:47:00 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Sounds like you have a healthy attiitude. I was supposed to start Tuesday on my plan but now I will start tomorrow...I think...

8/03/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I understand the comments and love your attitude. Just remember we didn't gain the weight in one week! How about that right knee...sorry to state I understand the discomfort all too well. I mentioned yoga before if you are unfamiliar with this check it out (please)Rent a beginner tape or DVD and go slowly. Gosh, I really give great advice think I should start listening to myself more often! Best wishes...

8/03/2006 08:52:00 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

You forgot to mention heart burn... don't know if that is a problem for you, but the first thing I noticed when I lost weight, the heart burn went away.......IT WAS A MIRACLE. If for no other reason, I want to drop those extra pounds......again.

Hard on the knees, hard, hard....and the feet, don't forget the feet. hard on the feet.

All good reasons....

8/03/2006 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CB, just one little thing you will have to be aware of and prepared for....your propensity for clothes shopping!! You'll want to buy a new wardrobe at every dropped size! I think you should invest in a sewing machine and 'downsize' all clothes until you reach your goal...at which time you'll have the money saved for the new clothes you'll want!! And you'll have a lot more options/selections available in your 'new' size - so save plenty!! xoxoxox

8/04/2006 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Oh what I wouldn't give to walk in, pick up something, and have it fit, in a size 7 or 9. Well maybe I shouldn't get rediculous.....but you get the idea.

8/04/2006 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Nea, at my thinnest I think I made size 12. My muscle mass just won't let me get much smaller. See my biceps .... uhm, when the fat is gone you can see my biceps.

8/05/2006 08:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home