Monday, August 07, 2006

4 Trauma Day

Some days you're the windshield; Some days you're the bug. 1st Trauma: This morning on my way to the gym I stopped at the new Big O Tire store on Craig Ave. The Lake Mead store I usually visit was out of my way, and a chain store is a chain store, right? Another woman and I approached the door together. Being obviously younger, I held the door and let her enter first. We walked to the counter together. The kid at the counter said, "Who owns the classic Caddy?" The lady said she did. He went into raptures over her car and processed the paperwork for her oil and lube. He did not so much as glance at me. She left the counter. I stepped forward just as the door opened. In walked a "briefcase." The kid behind the counter got all animated and started telling Briefcase everything that had been done to get the store ready for the division inspection. He talked about the shiny floor, the shiny windows, the shiny rim display .... Briefcase interrupted, "I believe you have a customer." The kid turned and looked at me as though I had materialized from thin air. He told me I'll have two new tires on my car in a half hour or less. About twenty minutes later I hear him telling Caddy Lady that he's really sorry, her car was going to take a bit longer than he'd anticipated. He said nothing to me. Very shortly there after Caddy Lady left. Twenty minutes later I went in search of my car. It was parked right outside the door. The guy at the counter says to me, "Oh yeah, your car's done." I paid him, took my car keys, walked out to my car and checked the trunk. No spare tire. I walked back in and requested my spare. As he put the spare in my trunk I said I was less than impressed with their service. He demanded, "Why, just because we forgot your tire?" I said, "That -- and my half hour wait that was an hour and five minutes without explaination or apology -- on top of the fifteen minutes it took for you to notice I was in your store in the first place." Does he apologize? No. He tells me that Caddy Lady is a very important customer and Briefcase is his boss' boss so they deserved special treatment. I said, "Well, since you've just religated me to non-important customer you won't mind if never return to your store." THEN he apologized. I should have stuck with the franchise where the service personnel think I am important even if I walk in wearing sweats and only drive an '03 Malibu. ------- 2nd Trauma (not mine): I get home from the gym, shower and am just about dressed when I hear knocking on my door. My neighbor lady often knocks on her way home from work, it is 2:45, the exact right time for it to be her -- so I open the door one-handed, still pulling on my jeans with the other ... only to shock the mailman speechless. Apparently he has never seen fushia panties before. Poor fellow. Anyway, my books from half.com have finally arrived -- 40 days after I purchased them. Nineteen days left before I return to work and now my novels arrive. ------ 3rd Trauma: On July 3rd I ordered a new cell phone and new service from (I thought) T-Mobile. Turns out the service was indeed T-Mobile, but the phone was not. In searching for T-Mobile I somehow ended up on an independant broker's site. Well, the independant broker never sent me my phone. I called them 3 times to no avail -- and no cell phone. So today I get a bill from T-Mobile for my activation fee and 1st month's service. My heart flipped over -- certain someone else was using my new cell phone, I called T-Mobile's customer service. They were wonderful. Apparently stuff like this happens all the time with brokers. She asked me if I wanted her to transfer me to their sales department so I could have them ship me a phone. I told her that if it was all the same to her, I'd like to go to my local T-Mobile store and talk to a rep with "skin." So the nice lady from customer service gave me the addy for the nearest T-Mobile store, I went there -- and walked out talking to a friend on my new phone! ----- 4th Trauma: As I left T-Mobile two woman stopped me in the parkinglot. They were wearing enough bling to blind me in the sun. One says, "My food stamps didn't come. We need food for our babies." I look around and see no babies. What I do see is two young women in their early 20's. Both well groomed and sharply dressed. Both wearing fancy painted acrylic nails and way too much glittery jewelry. I shook my head no and said, "I'm sorry, you dress better than I do," and I brushed by them. Behind me one woman said to the other, "I told you we were dressed too nice." ------ So, how was your day? Tomorrow I am staying home. Oh wait ... must get curvy. Curves: Day 4 stretch in 3x around the gym stretch out

13 Comments:

Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Sounds like you had a day to be put down in the history books.

With the kid at the tire store, I would have looked at him and let him think I may be calling his Home Office to lodge a complaint. Fear is a good weapon we consumers have. Even if we don't act on the threat, the ones behind the counter don't know we aren't. Some of the Brats may even have a conscience and lose sleep.

At least the rest of your day went well. And think, you made the Postman's day.

later

Bill

8/07/2006 07:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a day? Are we related? I have days like that regularly. I have come to the conclusion that customer service is a dying art. Gone are the days of the customer is number 1.
And I know exactly what you mean about the "bling" thing. I am so tired of breaking my behind, and never quite being behind the 8 ball, while others live high on the hog for screwing the system.
So, to count up the tally...zero for customer service, and zero for honesty and integrity....it's been quite a day.
Thanks for the visit the other day with Dr. John's group. Hope to see you again.

8/07/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have most definitely noticed a decline in customer service in the past few years... it's gotten to the point where good customer service seems the exception rather than the norm. Kind of sad. And I love how you describe your day so clearly I almost feel like I was there with you. I really do think you are the most talented writer in the family. (Sorry mama and Auntie C if you read that line... I love you.)

8/07/2006 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Niece Brooke, I don't think your mama or your Auntie C. would try to argue that title from me. Now, if you said I was prettiest, or smartest, the most talented, or the best singer you might get some arguement (although I can carry a tune). Your other Auntie C.

8/07/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Grey Shades said...

Customer service is almost non-existent in my country! You wait for half hour, or two hours or you leave, nobody bothers! I guess its the volume of customers that are there even if one gets annoyed and leaves. Its sad though!

8/07/2006 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Sorry you had a bad day... Personally, I think the customer service thing is a reflection of a sharp decline in manners in general. I hold doors open for people everywhere I go, and have them slammed in my face everywhere as well. It gets to you after a while, but I still consider it important to do the right thing and hope that someone follows the example. I think you were more than patient and the kid behind the counter should consider himself lucky that you weren't tougher on him after being Pretty Woman(ed) in his place of employment. Actually I guess this theory ties into most of the days truamas. People are just more self-centered these days.

Wow... That sounds really pessimistic, doesn't it? Well, I do still believe in the innate goodness of people. I just thing they are having more trouble proving me right!

8/07/2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Oh Quill, How come someone else's trauma seems so funny. Now I know that it isn't funny, but when you write it in this way, you make me want to laugh. All of a sudden my trauma seems a lot less traumatic. But you didd give me a great idea, I think I will go down to Walmart and pan handle......haha I need some new bling-bling,...... er' food for my babies.....

Whatever happened to that old saying, the customer is always right? Where DO these people working today get their customer service skills.......I have had this happen........ and I want so badly to say.....don't judge a person by their clothes. don't even judge us by the car we drive, just becuase our car isn't brand new or big, just might mean we are frugal....

8/08/2006 03:02:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Some days seem like one annoyance after another. People are just so...

8/08/2006 03:13:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That was funny (OK I know it wasn't but you wrote it with this bitter, mordant wit and I couldn't help laughing) especially what happened to the postman. Woo hoo!

Great that you got your books, though.

As for customer service, I think we have some of the worst in the world (yeah Grey, that's including your country) and then every once so often someone surprises me and I walk around grinning like an idiot the whole day.

8/08/2006 03:25:00 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

quilly: your quote has put me in a very melancholy state of mind. I think of Woody Allen's comment, How Can I believe in a Good and Loving God when Just this morning I got my tongue stuck in the paper shredder?

8/08/2006 07:24:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Justin: Free Choice is a killer.

Jenn: It is just so wonderful when a stranger exhibits some manners.

Quilly: Meant to congratulate you early on going to the gym. Good work, girl friend.

8/08/2006 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Wow, what a day you had! I would write to the owner of the tire store and tell him what happened (briefcase can verify it) you might get some free tires out of it. I do not like it when stuff like that happens to me.

I laughed at the poor postman (or lucky postman).

The two women with the bling? How do they sleep at night????

Good post today, I will be back tomorrow.

8/08/2006 04:00:00 PM  
Blogger Donna~K said...

You poor thing. It's so bad it's funny. I wouldn't think that if it were my day but since it's yours....lol. I hope your today was better. :)

8/08/2006 07:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home