Thursday, January 04, 2007

Tired

Our school day is arranged in such a way that I have two 40 minute work periods per day without my students. For one 40 minute work period, I am free to grade papers, make photocopies and do whatever else needs doing. For the other 40 minute work period I am required to attend a professional development class. The classes focus on our currirulum and programs. The classes are designed to make us better at our jobs. These classes rotate in 10 day cycles. Every ten days I spend 40 minutes with my team going over the math curriculum. Every ten days I spend 40 minutes with my team going over the science (social studies, reading, etc.) curriculum. Every ten days I facilitate the Writing Curriculum meetings. This means I plan the lesson, prepare the materials and present them to three individual groups of teachers. My day looks like this: 7:00 a.m. arrive in the classroom and make certain all is ready for the day 8:00 a.m. whole school assembly on the playground 8:15 a.m. in classroom, morning "warm up" on the board, TV on to the school news, students eating breakfast (whole school 100% free breakfast in the classroom every morning) 8:30 a.m. pass the sub at the door and head for Kindergarten Writing Class -- teach teachers 9:10 a.m. return to class, pass the sub at the door and pick up threads of the reading lesson -- teach students 10:05 a.m. reading students leave, math students arrive -- at same time pass sub at the door and head for the Second Grade Writing Class -- teach teachers 10:45 a.m. return to class, pass the sub at the door and pick up threads of the math lesson -- teach students 11:20 a.m. -- meet with the Principal about Writing Professional Development Classes 11:40 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. student free work period and lunch 12:30 p.m. -- pass the sub at the door and head for First Grade Writing Class -- teach teachers 1:10 p.m. return to class, pass the sub at the door and pick up threads of the science lesson -- teach students (then transition to writing & afterward Social Studies) 2:40 p.m. -- take students to P.E., attend 5th grade writing team meeting 3:25 p.m. pick students up from P.E., return students to classroom to gather all personal possessions 3:30 p.m. walk students to the gate and wave good-bye Normally, that should be it, but on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I tutor after school. So yesterday: 3:30 pm. prepare tutoring lessons 3:45 p.m. pick up students in gym -- teach (Math: mean, median, mode, minimum, maximum & range) 5:15 p.m. return students to gym -- hand them over to parents, wave good-bye 5:25 p.m. off the clock -- finally Tired -- not so much from the time spent, or the activities, but all the gear switching. What time is it? Where am I? And where should I really be?

11 Comments:

Blogger The amoeba said...

And when you finally get off the wheel, you sip from the chrome nipple, grab a kibble and snuggle down in your bed of wood shavings ...

1/04/2007 04:49:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

OC -- clever. I am a rodent with delusions of importance. And in the end what is accomplished, except that I am tired and the wheel waits to take me for another spin?

1/04/2007 06:21:00 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

That is a long day....again they are lucky to have you!

1/04/2007 06:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, Q, this schedule looks remarkably like the typical inmate's day on Riker's Island. Except no knife-making.

1/04/2007 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Lori -- they really don't think so. For a state with such a critical teacher shortage, they don't treat us like we're valuable.

Al -- I believe the sub taught that class.

1/04/2007 07:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd give you a hug, but I am too tired myself. The day just passes in a blur lately.

1/04/2007 07:43:00 AM  
Blogger Minka said...

See? And that is why I donĀ“t do it! Eventhough for some odd reason I got a degree in teahcing. Thank you!

1/04/2007 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Brian -- thanks

Minka -- more and more often I contemplate walking away. I just haven't decided yet where to walk to ...

1/04/2007 09:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't they want their pound of flesh? i hate politicians - even more than lawyers (same thing) and cats

1/04/2007 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Nikki Neurotic said...

That's a really busy day, just when you are getting used to doing one thing your switching gears and heading off to somewhere new.

1/04/2007 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Charlie -- I have a distinct dislike of program pushers.

Silver -- yep -- makes me feel like a yo-yo

1/04/2007 12:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home