Thursday, December 14, 2006

Six White Hours

I am sitting in a straight-backed wooden chair, slumped over a side-table with my eyes closed. I can hear, down the hall behind curtain 6, a drunk yelling that he came to Vegas to gamble, not to sit in an emergency room and bleed to death. I also hear a mother crying at the bedside of a child whose small body is encircled by tubes and wires. My eyes are closed because across from me is a man, face down on a gurney. There is a large shard of glass protruding from the flesh of his right buttock. He is crying. After about two hours, someone grabs my hand. Cool fingers circle my wrist. I open my eyes to a white jacket and stethoscope. I focus on a kind face with a pleasant smile. "I'm Dr. Gonzalez," the man says. "What seems to be the problem?" I frown at him, puzzled, then shake my head and point at my friend crumpled beside me in a reclining wheel chair, her left arm bound in a make-shift sling. She moans. The Doctor immediately turns his attention to her. I watch as he carefully checks her over, assures her she will soon be on her way to xray, and tells her what we all already knew: her shoulder is dislocated. The man with the glass shard is suddenly gone -- whisked off to surgery? In his place sits a shriveled old man wearing trousers, bathroom slippers and a blood soaked t-shirt. He clutches a crimson rag to his face and asks repeatedly, "Is Janie coming? Is Janie coming?" Twenty minutes pass. The xray techs appear and take my friend away. In another twenty minutes they return her. We talk for awhile, saying nothing important, but distracting her from the pain. Finally a nurse arrives. He spends almost a half an hour looking for a vein in her arm. He gathers up his toys and slumps away muttering. Another nurse arrives. She spends 3 minutes looking for a vein in my friend's hand, inserts the IV, and is finished inside of 10 minutes. Ten minutes pass. My friend is transfered to a gurney and wheeled into a cloth walled cubical. I follow. A tech appears and soon my friend is circled in tubes and wires. They give me her glasses. I hook them over my jacket pocket. Five more people crowd into the little space. I step out even though they don't ask me to. My friend calls, "Where are you going?" "Just here," I answer, and lean against the cold, white wall. The doctor explains to my friend how they will do the "reduction" and put her shoulder back in place. As he talks of force and leverage, he ties a white sheet around his waist. The nurse jokes about midnight ER toga parties. The doctor does a saucy little dance and my friend laughs. I pull my cell phone from my pocket and look at the time. 1 a.m. I flip the phone open and call Sub Services -- twice. Once for me. Once for my friend. Neither of us will be in our classrooms the next day. As I call, the curtain around the cubical closes. I can no longer see my friend. She can no longer see me. "Are you there?" she calls. "Of course," I answer. Again I listen. I listen as the doctor explains the anesthesia. I listen as he asks her, repeatedly, her name. After the third query, she doesn't know. I listen as he directs the techs, and explains to an Intern what he is doing and why. I listen as he orders the nurse to call xray back for another picture. He adds, "Although I'm sure we've got it." The curtain opens. Everyone files out until only my friend, out cold and snoring at the cealing, and one nurse remain. I step back into the cubical, sit down in a straight-backed hardwood chair and rest my head against the wall. I try to doze. I hear the steady beep, beep, beep of my friend's heart monitor, the nurse's pen scratching across paper, and some man down the hall say, "I don't think Momma's gonna make it." Another hour passes as they monitor my friend's vital signs and make certain she isn't going to have an adverse reaction to the anesthetic. Finally they say she can go. I take her home. Once in her own home she happily dismisses me and toddles off to bed. I stagger out into the darkness to make the drive home.

13 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

How did she dislocate her shoulder? Emergencies are horrible. Not long ago I spent all night in the ER when my daughter couldn't breathe. One sees alot of humanity there. I hope you got some sleep and your friend is ok.

12/14/2006 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger The amoeba said...

Quilly the Good Sam strikes again. Sleep, lady, sleep ...

12/14/2006 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Will keep your friend in my prayers tonight. You are a good friend.

12/14/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Nessa-- where is your butterfly?! And I hope your daughter is well now.

My friend fell in her garage -- tripped over the threshold -- and landed heavily on her shoulder. This is the third time she has put it out.

OC-- I was a bit grouchy earlier due to lack of sleep, but someone special made me laugh, and changed my attitude. I'll give you three guesses who that was.

Jan -- thanks. You're a good friend, too.

12/14/2006 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger Nikki Neurotic said...

I'm glad that your friend is okay now, ER's are never fun. A few years ago my mom and I spent five hours in one after I had a fainting spell.

12/14/2006 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Silver -- I have had two visits to the ER on my own behalf, and neither of them made me feel much better. Nasty places, emergency rooms -- too much pain there. They are horrid places for empathetic people.

12/14/2006 06:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. I quit my job with two kids no plans and no husband because I loathed working in the hospital trying to grub money from the poor people in the ER. Bleh. Best move I ever made.

Hope your friend is okay.

12/14/2006 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Hi Quilly

You are truly a good friend and one of God's Angels. I will keep you in prayer and wish you a night of uninterrupted sleep.

I've stopped by Pauline's and let her know you are tying to post but Blogger is being hateful again.

Blessings my friend, Sleep the Sleep of Angels

12/15/2006 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Quilly....empathetic is right. You are a good friend.

12/15/2006 04:47:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Cindra -- definately not a place I'd want to go everyday.

Bill -- it was nothing Betty wouldn't have done fro me. The advantage of being a good friend, is receiving good friendship in return.

Charlie -- thanks -- my friend is surprised at how well she is doing, and I caught up on all my sleep last night.

12/15/2006 04:48:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Jenn -- see my comment to Bill.

12/15/2006 04:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been too many times to ER with my wife.

12/15/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Brian -- trauma on every level, personal and compassionate.

12/15/2006 09:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home