Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Taking the Frightened Away

Everyday I get a 40 minute prep period, and Mrs. B. takes over my class. My students work on enhancing their writing skills with her. At Thanksgiving time she asked my students to write about a person they were thankful for, and to explain why. The paper below was written by Cyndi: ----- I am thankful for my teacher, Ms. A, because she is there when I need her. Ms. A. is helpful and kind. She helps me when I need her during class. She especiallly helps me a lot during math when I don't know how to do a problem or when I just don't understand. She is very clever when she teaches math skills we haven't learned. She takes all my frightened away when I try to learn something new. Ms. A. is the best ever math teacher and homeroom teacher. She is loyal and respectful to everyone. She encourages us to do new things. She is a fun and absolutely funny teacher and she tells us great stories. Ms. A. is the teacher everyone I know wants to have. I am thankful she is my teacher. ----- I needed this message. Lately I have been very discouraged and have found myself wondering why I even bother. All the testing, all the statistics, all the programs and the red tape that tangles and obscures the fact that the bottom line is the children. Today I am thankful for the reminder of why I went into teaching in the first place.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nikki Neurotic said...

That is very sweet.

12/13/2006 05:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where'd that beautiful picture go!?!?! Was I dreaming it?!?!?

12/13/2006 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

It's always nice when someone tells you that you make a difference to them.

12/13/2006 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Cindy's words angel, are not just hers. they are words written by her but really felt by many. your students of the past, present and future and all your friends, like me, who can see how wonderful a blessing you are to all those kids. someday, in the future, out of their lips will come your name and the memories full of gratitude of what you gave them.

12/13/2006 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger The Mumma said...

What a wonderful letter!

12/13/2006 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It is nice to get letters like this, relly makes it all worthwhile.

Blessings my friend

12/13/2006 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger The amoeba said...

"You should read some of your own blogs. Or maybe I should read them aloud to you."

:)

12/14/2006 05:01:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Silver -- it made my day.

Charlie -- anymore it seems everyday is a battle of some kind.

Jackie -- I chickened out. didn't I email you one?

Nessa -- see my comment to Silver.

Chana -- that's the difference I was trying to make. not so much so I would be remembered, but so their lives would be enriched.

Mumma -- isn't it though?

Bill -- it certainly soothed a few rough edges.

OC -- I read that somewhere befoore ...

Your voice is wonderful. You can read to me anytime -- but preferably not my own words.

12/14/2006 12:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To have the ability to take anyone's "frightened" away is a gift. You rock Quilly, kids know what's real.

12/14/2006 02:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home