Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A Well Greased Wit

I stopped on the way home last night to pay my rent. The office has been redone: new beige carpet; fancy pink and beige chairs -- very nice. The manager was on the phone so I sat in one of the chairs to await my receipt. A man walked in. He looked more like a mechanic's grease rag than a mechanic. He said he'd come straight from work to sign his lease. The manager, craddling the phone on her shoulder and writing on a note pad with her right hand, waved a stack of papers at the fellow with her left. "I've been expecting you," she said. "Read the papers. Initial wherever you see yellow highlighting." She swiveled her chair to hang up the phone. "You can just have a seat at the table." She looked up at the guy for the first time, took in his greasy attire and added in a squeak, "But don't touch anything!" The fellow looked at the pink and beige chair. He looked at the table. He winked at me, then he turned to the manager. "Since I haven't learned to levitate yet," he said. "Is it okay if I just stand?"

16 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Funny!!! I cannot believe those are the colors....pink???? For an office????? I think they will come to regret those colors and I bet by this time next year, the office will be redone in more customer friendly colors.

10/03/2006 08:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol... I can see why his wit caught your attention. That was a very clever comeback he had.

10/03/2006 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

When I was about twenty years old I had a job shovelling up spilled grease in the world's largest grease plant. I remember one spill that took me all day to clean up. I wish I could have been able to levitate. I hope he didn't get any on YOU. :)

10/03/2006 02:53:00 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

What a funny comeback. It sounds just like something My Dad would say if he was in the same situation.

thanks for the chuckle

10/03/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I bet someone that clever never even thought about sitting down.

10/03/2006 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Wonderful! He sounds like a guy worth getting to know better.

10/03/2006 05:01:00 PM  
Blogger INAMINI said...

A knowledge of magic can be used in the future, unlike math>;)

10/03/2006 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I'm glad you shared this with us. A good comment like that needs to be recorded.

10/03/2006 06:33:00 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

haha, well you can tell that he wasn't from Georgia, here, he would have sat down, belched, scratched, signed the lease, and then smeared grease where ever....

And never noticed anything except that the chair was a sissy chair.......a real man doesn't like pink you know. haha

10/03/2006 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Never mind the pink, Sister, get to the important stuff...

how old?
cute?
wearing a wedding ring?
did you catch which unit he was in?

Love you! xoxoxo

10/03/2006 08:19:00 PM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

Ha! that's what I was thinking. Maybe he "cleans up good." Beige and pink. sorry, that makes me nauseous just thinking about it. But the story was good. Sounds like one of the many well described narrative lyrics from Lucinda Williams album, "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road." Great album, bet you'd like it if you don't know it already. Peace, Tom

10/03/2006 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

By the way, Tom's Challenge #3 is up. TM

10/03/2006 09:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Lucinda Williams CD! Gee, is it any wonder Tom and Cindra are the ones that first played it for me? lol

10/03/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

What Jackie said.

10/03/2006 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

HA! That was cute. :-)

10/04/2006 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

A grease monkey with consideration AND a sense of humor??? Find out MORE about him, lady!!

10/04/2006 06:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home