Tuesday, September 26, 2006

How Foolish of Me

Reading Class: I have been calling students up one at a time and having each of them read to me outloud. Afterward I talk to them about their reading fluency and strategies good readers use. I met with 5 students on Thurday, 5 students on Friday, 5 students on Monday. After the first day the students all knew what was happening. Most of them would arrive at the table already on the right page and would start reading aloud immediately. Today the third student at my table said, as he sat, "Do you want me to read page 50, too?" I told him I did. He opened the book and began to read. Silently. "Hmmmm, Huey? Do you think you could read that outloud for me?" Horrified, Huey looked at me thorough rounded eyes. "But," he says. "Then you'll hear me!" "I need to hear you, or I won't know how to help you read better." That trully appalled him. "But you're the teacher!" He blurted, "You know everything!" Heh -- imagine me forgetting something like that.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I bet that just cracked up Dewey and Louie! Wait 'til Uncle Donald hears about this one!

(Those silly little ducks, eh?)

9/26/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I can't use their real names, so I just make one up! Dewey and Louie will get their turn.

9/26/2006 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Thank you for reminding me that I am speaking with the "all knowing" lol lovely story to share.

9/26/2006 04:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me smile for sure... How could you forget something like that, certainly! lol

9/26/2006 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Poor kid....sometimes I think they know more than adults! Sorry about the pain in getting out of bed...did I or did I not say the next day after the fall you would know how seriously injured you were? (Or is it because of something else?) Funny the cat sleeps on your head!

9/26/2006 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

How could you?

9/26/2006 05:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes we forget we are leading the generation that will hopefully pay our Social Security. I'm jealous- the most I get is "I don't believe you! lol

9/26/2006 07:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Good, CB. I can't believe you'd forget that either! XOXOXOXO

9/26/2006 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

ah to be admired and respected so greatly..it's a beautiful stage when the little ones think of parents, teachers and anyone in authority to be 'perfect'...of course in your case they are right...


and they called me brown noser ;p

9/26/2006 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

Another excellent anecdote from annals of an absolutely empathetic educator of apopolectic pre-adolescents.... Oh heck! it was a good story about kids. Thanks!

9/26/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

HA HA! Sweet little Huey. I can see the scene in front of me clear as day (probably because I was little Huey way back when).

I love what you say in your profile about approaching life with a sense of humor. Keep up the great work!

9/27/2006 05:14:00 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

lol...smart lil boy ;)

9/27/2006 06:34:00 AM  
Blogger Jeanette said...

nice post teacher how could you forget.. poor huey clever kid

9/27/2006 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Yea! Your so silly!

9/27/2006 03:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home