Saturday, July 22, 2006

O'Shea and Spam (in the beginning ....)

According to Robert in a comment posted here, O'Shea's Law states that Murphy (of Murphy's Law -- "Whatever can go wrong will...") was an optimist. Today O'Shea came to play at my house. Unfortunately he was playing with Spam and caused quite a mess. It started with an eBay email that wasn't from eBay. I knew immediately it wasn't from eBay because my first eBay transaction left a rather sour taste in my mouth, so I've not been back -- yet this bogus email said that my recent payment transaction failed and I needed to resubmit my account information. Of course I knew better and notified eBay spam trackers and they were all over it. Second, I took comment verification off my blog because it is such a hassle -- but then so was the hour and a half that I spent this afternoon scouring my blog to erase all the spam comments. Sorry folks, the wysiwyg editor is back to stay. On top of that, my mailbox was filled with spam that somehow got past my usually brave and villigant spam blocker. It was the same message repeated 10-12 times wanting me to refinance my home. Truthfully I think that would be a lot of fun. I might even get some free rent out of it -- from the state pen -- since I don't own my home. However, one thing came out well. I gave Blog Surfer's Anonymous a make over today and am quite proud of it. Go by -- look around -- post a comment so we know you've been there. I originally posted this message one hour ago. Since then my email program crashed ... supposedly Cox is "on it" and it will be up soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear you have been unfortunate enough to have your email compromised by them bad guys out there that have nothing better to do than mess with us. Hope its an easy fix and you aren't able to pass it on. I am not knowledgable enough to fix any mishap that may befall mine!! Love ya, C

7/22/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

C -- I didn't get any email viruses or bugs. Just spam -- unwanted advertizements -- and an attempt to steal my account information. As for my email program being off-line -- that was Cox Cable -- nothing I could do but wait [40 minutes] for it to come back up.

7/23/2006 05:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home