Saturday, July 15, 2006

Meddling Murphy

Murphy, of Murphy's Law, is alive and well. Proofs: This morning on my way to our Sidewalk Sunday School SPLASH event I waited my turn at a 4-way stop beside another denomination's church. There was some kind of special do going on in their private park -- I know not what, but this I do know -- two old fellas were using litterbox shovels to sift the sand in the horseshoe pits before continuing their game. At the grocery store the end of the conveyor belt ate the strings of the clerk's apron -- while she was in the apron. Her boss didn't want to cut the apron strings, so she stood on her tippy-toes gasping for breath as he worked them free. When it was finally my turn at the register she was out of receipt paper. She installed another roll and it jammed. My receipt was folded, spindled and mutilated. In the process of trying to work it free the lady stopped, looked up toward the cealing and said, "Not today, Lord, please. I have to pull a double shift!" About 28 children, 7 parents and 6 volunteers showed up for the SSS SPLASH event. We were armed with squirt guns, huge sponges, hoses, water balloons and large tubs -- a couple of the kids told us their mothers said they couldn't get wet. Hello? Who sends their kid to a water party with instructions to not get wet? Ms. Betty said she didn't want to get wet, either. Naturally she was the first one soaked -- her twin sons did it (they're 22 so grounding them is probably not an option). A small child two or three years of age picked up a water ballon and was laughing at how it wiggled and jiggled in his hands. Then it popped with a spectacular splash and soaked him. The look on his little face was priceless. His momma and I burst out laughing, frightening him to tears. Then it came time to eat watermelon. One toddler dropped her piece on the blacktop, picked it up, pressed it into her younger brother's hands and chomped down on his clean slice. Baby was content with the dirty piece, but his mommy and I weren't. There is a tradition that ends Sidewalk -- the big water tubs are hefted and tossed in some hapless soul's direction. This year I was determined to get the deed on film. I had the camera ready, the twins (Ms. Betty's darlings) hefted the tub -- and through the view finder I realized they were coming for me! I had time only to thrust my left hand and the camera high into the air as I screamed, "The camera isn't wategergablapbt!" Which translates to, "The camera isn't waterproof." (Luckily it was a disposable camera -- not even Murphy could sweet-talk me into taking my new digital to a water fight!) I would tell you whether or not the pics survived, but when I went to the photo processing place to drop them off, as I got out of the car I realized I had left them at home! Murphy's last act of the day (so far anyway) was the only one I have found no ounce of appreciation for. I was so careful at Sidewalk not to run or jump. I took every squirt, splash and splatter in deference to my healing knee -- but there in the parkinglot as I turned to get back into my car I re-twisted the joint. I sit here now with it propped up and swathed in a dishtowel wrapped around a frozen bag of corn. Other than that, I had a great day. How about you?

14 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol!
Do you ever get the feeling you go out knowing it's gonna happen - the only thing you can change is how much it bothers you ...

You know give me strength to change the things I can, and the others, well ...
They are just water off a duck's back really - who cares if Israelis ghettoising a couple of million Palestinians, and don't you just give up when they go on about what the Nazis did or not.

7/15/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Murphy's Law, have you heard of O'Sheas Law, which states: "Murphy was an optimist", I'm a believer of O'Sheas

7/15/2006 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Q -- huh?

Robert -- welcome! I'll remember O'Shea for when things get really bad, but I think I prefer Murphy, he at leaset has a sense of humor.

7/15/2006 06:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heee!

7/15/2006 09:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ooooooh all that water - it sounds like it was a lot of fun. And that you handled all the contretemps with good humour.

Made me laugh. Bless you.

7/16/2006 12:12:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Jenn -- glad I made you laugh -- I think? And without humor days like today could make one down right cranky.

7/16/2006 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

huh? Your Murphy's Law, you know if somethings gonna go wrong ...

Waterfights great for hot summer days

7/16/2006 05:19:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

That Murphy is a little stinker. When he gets started the fun never ends. Everything was funny, except your knee. Hope it feels better.

7/16/2006 05:43:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Thanx all -- the knee is doing much better than I expected. I am still basking in the memory of a lovely day -- and will be until the sunburn fades ....

7/16/2006 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Penrick said...

I love days like this - it keeps us from writer's block.

I love the cashier. You know she is going places - LOL! (she will need lots of insurance)

I'm linking you to my blog. I love people who have Murphy's Law stories, tell them in the most humorous ways......waiting for it to all happen again in a week or two. If we were meant to take it seriously, we would be ....I can't think of any profession I would take seriously. Maybe prostitution. You can't get caught rolling your eyes and checking your watch.

7/16/2006 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Penrick -- you made me laugh outloud. I am thinking we could be sisters, but since we're not, how about friends? I was just over and your place and I had a great time! (The answer to your profile question was priceless!)

I don't know how you found me, but I am sure glad you did.

7/16/2006 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger sandy said...

Ouch, sorry 'bout your knee! Hope you're feeling better. I love your site

7/16/2006 04:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice, Ice, and more Ice. and leave Murphy alone for a while. You need to take care until you heal. Sit back and laugh at others for a time and stop creating havoc to humor us!!! You need to take very good care of yourself so you can last for years and years.....(long enough to care for me in my old age!!) Love ya, C

7/16/2006 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Sister -- hiding behind your initial -- I love you, too -- but if I am taking care of you in your old age, who is taking care of me?

7/16/2006 07:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home