Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rant

The DSM-IV decribes intermittent explosive disorder as ... [the] failure to resist aggressive or violent behaviors that result in harm to others or destruction of property. Spurred by a minor incident, these acts are grossly out of proportion to the stressor. http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/intermittent_explosive_disorder.jsp Can you say, tempertantrum? I would like to know how these adults diagnosed with intermittent explosive disorder were disciplined as children when they pitched a fit. I suspect many of them were rewarded for acting out -- they either got what they wanted, or a pacifier that made their fit worth pitching. I say this because every year in my classroom I am given the "hard-to-handle" kids, and after a few weeks they figure out their fits aren't going to sway me, and that their tempertantrums have a negative impact on their priviledges -- and suddenly they have no trouble controlling themselves at all. Now, intermittent explosive disorder may very well be real -- but I'd bet a majority of the cases could be cured with an application of self-control rather than the dispensing of medication. How long will it be before people are once again held accountable for their own actions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home