Friday, December 01, 2006

I'm a Loser

In the last 11 days I have lost another 4.5 pounds. On August 1st, I decided a change needed to be made and I set out to make myself half the person I used to be. So far I have lost 13 pounds altogether. Inches are coming off, too. Of course the weight-loss is great and I definately plan to continue, but that is just a minor part of the benefit of exercising. The other day I backed my car out of the driveway and saw all the garbage cans lining the road. Trash day. I'd forgotten. I stopped the car right there at the curb, hopped out, sprinted up the driveway and took the steps in a single bound --took the steps in single bound --. Those would be the same steps that somedays after work seemed much too steep to climb. Speaking of which, when my work day comes to an end I now still have energy. I also seem to be in a better overall mood. Not to mention that I am resenting the three days per week I can't go to the gym: Wednesdays (church), Saturdays (Sidewalk Sunday School), and Sundays (gym closed). I should have picked a gym with longer hours. Since I didn't, I'm thinking of getting a stair-stepper or walking machine. I am truly liking this exercise thing. Weird, huh?

14 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

You are absolutely right, Quilldancer. I remember very well when I was in better shape and about 40lbs lighter I felt a lot better. It's just a matter of getting off your duff and doing it. Kudos to you for doing so well! You are almost inspiring me to make some more changes. That's no small accomplishment. Last time I really made an effort... it took a drill sergeant to motivate me!

12/01/2006 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh sweetie you are doing awesome. congratulations. i'm so glad that you are happy but not only that, that you are seeing great benefits from it health wise. i'm proud of you. good job.

12/02/2006 01:47:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I am very impressed. You are doing an excellant job. I got out of the swing of things in October. I think I'll join you again.

12/02/2006 04:21:00 AM  
Blogger Nikki Neurotic said...

Oh, good job. I think some kind of exercise machine would be a good idea, nothing too crazy or anything like that, just something that'll keep you active on the days you don't make it to the gym. Or, you can always just take a mile or so walk on the nice days.

12/02/2006 04:39:00 AM  
Blogger The amoeba said...

[applause]

My experience with home exercise machines has been disappointing. Quality and durability are low, especially if you've had experience with the commercial gear. If time and circumstances permit, silverneurotic's on the right track, I think.

12/02/2006 04:53:00 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Your drunk tests are really hard.

12/02/2006 05:30:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Thanks all -- I'm feeling pretty gopod about me these days.

The exercise machine would likely be bigger than any room I have to put it in, but, walking in this neighborhood is not a good idea. I could drive to the college and walk the outdoor track, but not in 30* weather -- I'm a baby.

12/02/2006 05:31:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Nessa -- perhaps they wouldn't be if: a) I were much of a drinker; and, b)I held any fondness for drinkers ....

12/02/2006 05:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I too need to get off my duff. With our amazing lottery win, we purchased a Gazelle - I love it, no impact on my knees and yet 30 seconds on the thing and I'm sweating and out of breath. Congratulations on your steady progress Quilly, that's the absolute key to keeping it off.

12/02/2006 05:50:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Kat -- I have a friend who just informed me I am not to buy an exercise machine -- she has a Gazelle she will give me. Only thing is, I probably can't have it until January because it is in a stoarge unit 650 miles away. I want it TODAY!

12/02/2006 07:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, from the last comment you wrote I see that impatience is also a trait we have in common, dear auntie. :) Seriously, though, congratulations! You're an inspiration to me.

12/02/2006 02:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done QD. You CAN do it :o)

12/02/2006 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Brooke -- this surprises you, why?

Charlie -- yep -- I CAN!

12/02/2006 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Whoooooooo hoooo! YAY YOU!!! Way to GO Quilly! I'm Soooooooo proud of you!!! That is G.R.E.A.T.!!! High 5!!!

12/03/2006 05:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home