Thursday, October 26, 2006

Running Late

I woke at twenty minutes to eight this morning. That is not good since I am usually up by five-thirty and at work by seven. Luckily, I don't have to be at work until eight, at which time I am to be standing in front of my class line, saluting the flag with my students. I flew out of bed and raced through the house doing all of my essential morning things. I ran through the shower, brushed two of my teeth, jumped into whatever clothes were handy, ran around in circles looking first for my shoes, then for my keys -- and finally dove into my car and shot for school. At school the parkinglot was full. As I circled looking for a spot, I saw my class standing on the playground in their regulation stright line -- too straight. I looked again. The principal was with them -- probably asking where their teacher was. None of the other classes remained on the playground. I parked in the furtherest parking space from the school and ran for my classroom. Of course the gate was locked. I had to dig through my purse for the keys. As I ran through the hall -- clearly forbidden -- the bell rang and I woke. Yep. Woke. It was my alarm. The time was five-thrity a.m., and I was so exhausted from all the hurry, worry and stress I could barely bring myself to leave my bed. Worst of all -- I had to get ready for work all over again. Bleh. _______ Some Blogger News: My sister, Jackie, has been found alive and well in Iowa. Check out her post at Jackie's Garden. And Tom, of Tom's Rhetoric, known to many as Just Tom, master of creativilty and eloquence, is making his guest appearance at Belle of the Brawl today. He's got some very interesting things to say. Go by Sentational Sar's place and check them out.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaah- the subconscience is a very strong realm! I'm glad it was just a dream- hope you have a great day!

10/26/2006 09:21:00 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Glad it was only a dream and not reality. I don't normally remember my dreams, unless they are the kind that scare me or if I dream about my family and friends. Sometimes I dream I am flying like a bird, always trying to get away from someone.

But normally I usually wake up an hour before the alarm and then I can never get back to sleep to get that needed last hour, then for the rest of the day I am slower in thought and think about getting home for that nap that never comes until bedtime.

Blessings for a wonderful day.

10/26/2006 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

ROGL hon...

i was so sure you were going to end the post with an amazing story of how you explained this to the kids..

i'm so glaad you were just dreaming. and i know what you mean, if i dream of working or something exhausting i do wake up tired for real...

10/26/2006 10:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! I go over my day all too often in my sleep and awake exhausted...I hear you, AQ.

I heart you.

10/26/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Whew, I hate when that happens! Almost as bad as when you fall asleep in the afternoon and wake up completely disoriented, trying to figure out what day it is and where you're supposed to be.

10/26/2006 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Quilly-Sister, you crack me up! I'm not one to dream much - and when I do - they are the nightmare variety. I hear Kat, that's the way I wake from naps, too. xoxoxoxo

10/26/2006 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I hate those kinds of dreams.

10/26/2006 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

UGH! I HATE dreams like that! And I had one recently too... but I can't remember it now... thankfully!

10/26/2006 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I hate it when I wake up already exhausted! Sleep is supposed to be the time when you get REST!!!!

I am glad it was only a dream...tomorrrow is Friday!

10/26/2006 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I liked the dream where I was looking for you, except that I didn't find you. Btw, I just figured out that the place you lived was heaven in a Lothlorien sort of way.

10/26/2006 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

Great story. don't you haate that stuff. I wonder if they are god's practical jokes?

Thanks for the plug on Sar's, Quilly.

The first week of my first real job after college (salary, benefits, tie) I was so stressed out going through all the training from a very gruff guy who I was replacing. He was upset that he was being replaced by a snot nosed kid out of college and was an ex-military seargent. Towards the end of the week I woke up with a start, looked at my clock and started running through the house shouting in a panic. I was late. real late. My girlfriend was chasing after me yelling... something. I had one sock on, a shirt draped over my shoulder and was holding a tie in my hand when she finally caught up with me-- " Tom! It's SATURDAY!"

10/26/2006 09:05:00 PM  
Blogger The Mumma said...

My mother's recurring nightmare before she was retired was realising half an hour into the teaching day that she was still wearing her slippers.

I used to dream up lesson plans. That was actually pretty useful because some of them were my best lessons!

10/27/2006 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Just Tom said...

yeah, kind of scary, like some gestapo thing.

10/28/2006 09:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home