Sunday, September 10, 2006

"You Look Like H3LL!"

That's what the lady said to me at Wal-Mart. I was standing in the back of one of those impossibly long lines cluthing Mucinex and toilet tissue to my chest. The store seemed unbearably hot. I was sweating, my knees were trembling and the back of my mouth was experiencing that saliva pooling sensation that preceeds heaving. "Come with me," she said. And she pulled me to an empty cash register and rang up my purchases. I don't remember her name, but I know I love her. I went into my classroom this morning. I had some stuff I thought positively needed to be done. I was there for two and a half hours basically moving paper around on my desk and hoping it would sort itself into sense. It didn't. The only thing I accomplished was assigning seating for my reading groups. A task that should have taken all of twenty minutes. Then I went to Wal-Mart. Then I came home and rested for two hours. The nausea passed soon after I stepped into my blessedly cool house. I just had a bite to eat. I'm starting to feel human again. I have to make it through tomorrow. I am not leaving my first day with a new reading class to a sub! Nope. I'm going to school in the morning. I'm standing at my door and I am hugging and kissing every kid -- a.k.a. germ factory -- that walks by.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr.John said...

On the other hand you could be the germ factory at the start of the line.

9/10/2006 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Now Dr. John, check your history books. You know all diseases start with rats. Well, aren't children called Rugrats? Yep. I am sure they are!

9/10/2006 05:41:00 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

haha.....well what goes around comes around...as they say......who gave what to who first, my bet the kids gave it to you....but if you give it back, well I guess it is only fair.....this could go on for the first month of school, yikes.

9/10/2006 06:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope tomorrow goes well. :)

9/10/2006 08:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hi. Sorry I've been absent from these pages. It was flying halfway across the world that did it. Checked in today to find you were feeling poorly.

Poor baby.

And on your first week of school too.

I really hope you feel much much better. And your kitties and your readers and your kids...all love you.

9/11/2006 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

AHh..I ALWAYS got sick when my kids went back to school. THEY brought it home to ME. You are doomed! lol
Feel better soon. HUGZ!

9/12/2006 07:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home